I dream about this Salted Caramel Apple Crisp. It’s no secret, I love Salted Caramel Anything. This amazing dish tastes like fall in a spoon!
A few weeks ago we had dinner with two of our neighbors. The guys grilled, the girl made sides and mixed margaritas, kids played and we all caught up. I made this Salted Caramel Apple Crisp and it was a huge it.
I used Honey Crisp apples for this but you can also use Pink Lady or even Granny Smith for a tart kick. It takes about 15 minute to assemble and 30 minutes to bake. As always, I made this with gluten-free oatmeal but traditional oats work just the same. Don’t skip the Calvados! This apple-flavored liquor adds a great flavor and the alcohol cooks out.
It is super easy and you can make it ahead and heat right before serving. The fleur de sel caramel sauce is from Trader Joe’s and I have to keep myself from eating it daily with a spoon! It’s that good.
SHOP THE POST
There are two secret ingredients in my apple crisp: white chocolate chips and pumpkin pie mix. Mary, my fabulous photographer said, “Oh, my gosh! This tastes like fall!” I couldn’t agree more.
This will be on the menu for Halloween. I hope you’ll add it to yours!
- 2 Honey Crisp Apples, cored and diced
- 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 can pumpkin pie mix, use ½ of the can (refrigerate for later use)
- 1½ stick of butter, divided use
- 4 cups brown sugar, divided use
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ c Calvados (apple flavored liquor)
- 1 jar Trader Joe's Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce
- Note: This can also be made in a baking dish and is easily doubled.
- Dice apples.
- Melt ½ stick of butter in sauté pan, add 2 c brown sugar, apples and Calvados.
- Saute until softened, about 5 minutes, then set aside.
- Mix oats, pumpkin pie mix, 1 stick melted butter, and 2 c brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Divide apples between 6 ramekins.
- Top with white chocolate chips.
- Mound oat mixture on ramekins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbling and light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce.
- Enjoy this taste of fall in a spoon!
Photos by Mary Summers-Hafner