I love everything about summer…sleeping in, no schedule, warm weather (ok, ok, here, it’s HOT weather), sun, lazy days with my girls. Summer inspires me to cook because of all the fresh ingredients available. One of our favorites is Watermelon Gazpacho.
It is really fun to serve as a shooter at a party as we did earlier this summer. Probably my favorite way is just a huge bowl on a hot day. It is great too with a grilled burger.
- 1 large watermelon, seeded and diced (I think those with seeds taste best)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (all of the white and 1 inch of the green)
- 1 tbs chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp of grated fresh ginger
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Puree some of the seeded diced watermelon in your blender or Vitamix to equal 6 cups.
- Place in a large bowl and combine all other ingredients.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for 1 hour. You can skip this if all your ingredients were good and cold.
I really enjoy slicing and dicing so this is a super fun recipe for me!
Add the blended watermelon.
Remove the seeds from the English cucumber before you dice.
I remove the thin membrane from the inside of peppers to release more flavor.
A squeeze of lime and some cilantro to finish.
I posted a photo on Instagram and had tons of requests for the recipe. It truly feels like summer in a bowl…cool, refreshing and slightly sweet.
Hope you enjoy!
SHOP THE POST
Photos by Megan Weaver