How To Make An Apple Galette | Gluten Free Apple Galette

by | Sep 24, 2020 | Breakfast, Sweets | 8 comments

Gluten Free Apple Galette

The beginning of Fall and the beautiful fall apples have me thinking about apple pie.  This Apple Galette or Rustic Apple Pie is a family favorite.  Our food allergies necessitated a few changes to my baking routine so this crust is gluten free but so good, no one knows the difference!

Gluten free baking can be intimidating but with the right ingredients, success possible. Chef Lena Kwak developed Cup4Cup in the kitchen of Thomas Keller’s Napa Valley icon French Laundry.  It truly is just that.  It has worked in everything I’ve used it in.  This Apple Galette recipe can be used with all-purpose flour as well!

apple prepprep itemsThis recipe only needed one change and a one tiny addition to result in the great treat we had always enjoyed.It’s a simple recipe but so good.  Preparing the crust in your food processor a snap.  I love my 16 cup Cuisinart.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Apple Galette

Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20-25
Ingredients
  • Ingredients for pie crust:
  • 2 c of Cup4Cup
  • 1 tbs Kosher Salt
  • 2 sticks very cold butter (diced right before use)
  • ¼ c and 2 tbs of ice water
  • **Note: If you use traditional flour, delete the 2 tbs of water.
  • Ingredients for filling:
  • 1 c well packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp nutmeg
  • Zest from 1 orange
  • 2 of your favorite apples (I used Honeycrisp but Granny Smith is great, too!)
Instructions
  1. Place the flour and salt in your food processor. Pulse it 3-4 times to mix.
  2. Take the butter from the refrigerator and quickly dice it.
  3. Place the butter cubes in the food processor and toss to coat with the flour mixture being careful with the sharp blades on the bottom.
  4. Pulse the mixture until the cubes are about pea sized.
  5. Add the ice cold water through the top of the food processor while it is running.
  6. Let the it mix until the dough begins to come together but is not yet one big ball.
  7. Turn it out on to a well floured pastry board or sheet.
  8. Separate into two sections and form into a disk.
  9. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  10. Just before you roll out the crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  11. Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
  12. Zest the orange over the mixture, combine and set aside.
  13. Remove from plastic wrap and roll out on to well floured pastry board.
  14. Roll out in to a 10 inch circle.
  15. Transfer to a parchment paper lines baking sheet.
  16. Slice your apples into ⅛” slices.
  17. Add to sugar mixture and toss.
  18. Arrange them in a circular pattern on the crust leaving 1 ½ inch border of crust uncovered.
  19. Gently fold the pie crust over the apples.
  20. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  21. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
  22. Some of the sugar may come out of the crust. If so, just scrape away from the edges with a spatula.
  23. Transfer to a wire rack to continue to cool.
  24. Serve warm with ice cream or spiced whipped cream.

lush-list-HR-21Place the flour and salt in your food processor.   Pulse it 3-4 times to mix.lush-list-HR-43Take the butter from the refrigerator and quickly dice it.Pastry prepPlace the butter cubes in the food processor and toss to coat with the flour mixture being careful with the sharp blades on the bottom.

Pulse the mixture until the cubes are about pea sized.

Pastry prep 2Let the it mix until the dough begins to come together but is not yet one big ball.

Turn it out on to a well floured pastry board or sheet.Gluten free pastry doughSeparate into two sections and form into disks.

Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.  (A great tip for the holidays around the corner: These will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator and also freeze well for up to 6 months when wrapped tightly in 3 layers of plastic wrap and placed in a freezer bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.)

Apple Galette fillingMix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.  Zest the orange over the mixture, combine and set aside.  These Mircroplane tools are the BEST!  (*Note: Don’t add the apples yet.  They’ll get too juicy and make a mess when baking…I’ve done that.  Not good!)

pie crustJust before you roll out the crust, preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Remove from plastic wrap and roll out on to well floured pastry board.  Roll out in to a 10 inch circle.  This pastry board is my absolute favorite for baking.

gluten free pie crustTransfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.

apple prepSlice your apples into 1/8” slices.  Add to sugar mixture and toss.fold crustassembledArrange them in a circular pattern on the crust leaving 1 ½ inch border of crust uncovered. Gently fold the pie crust over the apples and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Gluten Free Apple GaletteServe warm with vanilla bean ice cream or spiced whipped cream.

This Apple Galette is a great dessert and holiday breakfast pastry as well!  Hope you enjoy one of our family traditions!  If you make this, I’d love for you to tag me on social media @aliciawoodlifestyle and #AWLrecipe so I can celebrate your baking success!

Get more Fall recipe inspiration in my Food section on the menu above and on these category pages: Personal StyleInteriorsMy HomeEntertainingTablescapesBeauty and Travel.

Don’t miss in my new Fall Boutiques I just released and these recent posts: 15 Fall Dresses Under $100Beautiful Blue and White Teen Bedroom, AWL x Southcott Fall Collection,  Blue and White Pillows For Fall, Casual Day Dresses For Fall,  August Favorites Under $150Top 25 Reader Favorites for August, the beautiful Alicia pieces I designed with Hazen and the AWL x Southcott Collection. They are filled with great pieces that are perfect for this time of year!

xo

Alicia

PS – Did you know two new giveaways that will be on going to thank you for your loyalty and support.  Randomly, each month I’ll select winners from the comments those who leave on blog posts and from those subscribed to my newsletter.  These winners will receive gift boxes filled with some of my favorite items…some gifted by brands and others I add to the mix.

SHOP THE POST

Photo credit: Mary Hafner

Pin this image for reference!

8 Comments

1. Kelley

Yum! I l;ove anything apple and this looks awesome. I am printing this off and making asap!

2. Amy D

This looks delicious. I need to try it.

3. Michele Reynolds

All your recipes look delicious!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

4. Danette Corder

Apple spice is my favorite fall flavor also. And I can’t wait to try this gluten free version- thank you so much!

5. Arlinda

I’m making this today and I’m currently waiting for the dough in the fridge. I’m not a fan of apple pie because cinnamon and me are not good friends but it looks delicious and I had to try it.

6. Brenda Haines

I am going to have to try this. We have so many apples right now?

7. Susan Vilardo

I really enjoy making Apple pies in the Fall. I agree that granny smith and Honeycrisp are the best baking apples. I really like the appearance of the gallette! A handful of red hots spread across the to.o tastes good too!

• Alicia

Hi Susan
      I love the idea of the red hots! So fun! I love Granny Smith Apples as well. I need to make this using those tart favorites!
      xo
      Alicia

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate this recipe:

Alicia Wood, Dallas Lifestyle Expert, Dallas Fashion Blogger

MEET ALICIA

AliciaWoodLifestyle.com is a lifestyle destination for everyday living written by Alicia Wood. Alicia’s goal is create a timeless, fresh way to approach fashion, entertaining, beauty, design and travel.

September 2020 Reader Favorites
Favorites Under $150 promo
AWX X SOUTHCOTT FALL COLLECTION
Hazen Jewelry Collection

Meet Alicia

AliciaWoodLifestyle.com is a lifestyle destination for everyday living written by Alicia Wood. Alicia's goal is create a timeless, fresh way to approach fashion, entertaining, beauty, design and travel.

8 Comments

1. Kelley

2. Amy D

This looks delicious. I need to try it.

3. Michele Reynolds

All your recipes look delicious!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

4. Danette Corder

5. Arlinda

6. Brenda Haines

I am going to have to try this. We have so many apples right now?

7. Susan Vilardo

• Alicia

Hi Susan
      xo
      Alicia

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate this recipe:

Meet Alicia

My Style

A fresh approach to classic style.

Favorite Black Dresses for Fall

Favorite Black Dresses for Fall

Are you like me and have a closet with a lot of black pieces? There is a reason for that!  Black is universally flattering, chic and can “go” almost anywhere.  I feel like a black dress is truly for every season. Today, I am sharing my favorite Black Dresses for Fall.

Fall Trend: Slouchy Bags

Fall Trend: Slouchy Bags

Last week in the Fall Style Boutique, I shared Seven Trends for Fall. Today, I want to focus on slouchy handbags.  It seems our craving for soft and comfortable things has now carried over into our accessories with the popularity of slouchy style handbags featuring gentle folds and gathers of leather and fabric.

Shopbop Fall Event | Wear Now Styles Up To 25% off

Shopbop Fall Event | Wear Now Styles Up To 25% off

The sale that we all love most is here!  The Shopbop Fall Event offering up to 25% off current styles begins today!  Whether you are looking for a few new items to refresh your closet this Fall or have an occasion to celebrate, the Shopbop Fall Event is the place to do it.

Beauty

Discover Alicia’s clean beauty favorites and skin care routines.

Colleen Rothschild Friends and Family Sale

Colleen Rothschild Friends and Family Sale

It’s time for one of my favorite beauty sales! The Colleen Rothschild Friends and Family Sale offering 25% off sitewide with code FAMILY25 is happening now. This is the best time to stock up on all of your favorites and get an early start on holiday gifting as well.

BeautyBio Healthy Scalp Serum Review

BeautyBio Healthy Scalp Serum Review

I’m excited to share a brand new product with you today:  The BeautyBio Healthy Scalp Serum.  I was lucky enough to try this product before it officially launched this week and am excited to share my results.

Alicia Wood Lifestyle Fall Boutiques

Alicia Wood Lifestyle Fall Boutiques

Each season, I fill the AWL Boutiques with my favorite finds to inspire your personal style, keep you looking beautiful, decorate your home, fill your pantry and give the perfect gift.  These are updated constantly but get a major overhaul each season and as of today, they are fully updated!

Food & Entertaining

Here you’ll find delicious recipes for just about any occasion. The perfect, most delicious recipe is just minutes away, as well as the essentials for entertaining with style and ease.

Food & Recipes

Family favorites and seasonal menus.

Tablescapes

Tips on setting a beautiful table.

Entertaining

Get inspired with entertaining tips.

Interiors

My Home

Welcome to my home. Enjoy the tour!

Interior Inspiration

All my favorite finds for beautiful, everyday living.

Travel

Some of life’s greatest treasures are memories created through travel.

Destinations