Stratas are my new favorite one-dish meal. When I saw a strata featuring Sausage, Spinach and Apples in Giada’s new cookbook Happy Cooking, I wasted no time in whipping one up. One of the things I love about a Strata is that you make it ahead. I had a bit of time Tuesday afternoon so I prepared it in addition to our dinner that night. It was so nice to come home last night and pop it in the oven! They are perfect when you are hosting guests on the weekend as well. A great breakfast with no fuss. Just add fruit and a simple salad.
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (If using links, choose no casing and slice)
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and diced
- 2 c fresh arugula
- 2 loaves of Udi's French Baguettes (8 cups of cubed crusty bread)
- 2 c milk
- 2 c heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ c finely grated Parmesan cheese
- butter for "greasing" the baking dish
- *Note: You can use 4 cups of milk if it is all you have and it will still be great!
- Drizzle oil in pan and head to medium.
- Add sausage to pan and brown.
- Add shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add apples and arugula and sauté on medium-low for 2 minutes.
- Butter a 9 x 12 baking dish generously.
- Layer bread in the dish then apple sausage mixture and repeat once more.
- Combine milk, cream, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Refrigerate two hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature - about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes.
This savory strata is perfect for dinner as well as breakfast or brunch. Sweet Stratas like my Raspberry French Toast Strata are better for breakfast…but hey, I love breakfast for dinner. Don’t you?!?!
I used Apple Chicken Sausage from Trader Joe’s in this recipe. The touch of sweetness and cinnamon were a great compliment to the sharpness of the arugula and Parmesan cheese.
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED