I have always been interested in food and what it does to our bodies. I was the “crazy” 13-year-old who stopped drinking carbonated drinks in the late 80s because I thought they were bad for you. Hmmmm, a bit before my time, I’d say.
I hadn’t really give much thought to what I put on my body until I read a blog post about cosmetics a year or so ago. Yeah, I’d tried the stuff at Whole Foods but wasn’t really crazy about it.
Lustro Face Oils #1 #2 & #3 // Soothing Face Wash // Cleansing Balm (My FAVORITE!) // Vibrant Eye Perfector // Rose Water // Uplifting Day Cream // Radiance Firming Complex // Enlightening Treatment Pads // Restorative Night Cream // Lip Balm
A few weeks ago a neighbor dropped by a basket filled with Beautycounter products for me to try. (Love blogging perks!) I loved the products and then began to read the materials. Oh, my! Why have I not been paying attention to the details of personal care products! Here is the BAD and GOOD of what I’ve learned…
THE BAD NEWS: Details about Personal Care Products in the US
- The United States has not passed a federal law to regulate the ingredients used in personal care products since 1938. 77 years ago today!
- Only about 10% of the 10,000 chemicals commonly found in personal care products have safety data.
- What’s worse is the Food and Drug Administration (they cosmetics, too) allows companies to use chemicals known to be extremely harmful (lead, formaldehyde, and phthalates) in the products we put on our bodies and on our kids every single day, day after day.
- The European Union bans or restricts more than 1,300 ingredients, the US has only banned 11 to date.
THE GOOD NEWS:
- Beautycounter has banned more than 1,500 ingredients from their products – setting a new health and safety standard – all while ensuring their products perform, and that they’re as indulgent as any luxe shampoo, lipstick or oil in the market.
- Founder Gregg Renfew and her team has created the most stringent screening process in the personal care industry for Beautycounter products.
- And they aren’t stopping there…They are working with lawmakers to educate and equip them with the information they need to change the regulations in the US.
- This very short video will tell you more. (Don’t let the intro make you think it is long!)
I hope this spurs you to think about what is in your person care arsenal for you and your family. I was horrified to learn this week my preferred sunscreen is the worst I could be using on my family. I have just ordered a ton of this great sunscreen.
I am very passionate about this issue and this company. On my website there will always be a Beautycounter tab. Please feel free to ask my any questions about their products’ performance and safety. I’d love to visit with you one-on-one. If you are interested in samples, shoot me an email. I look forward to sharing great information with you as I learn more.
Have a great day!
PS – With any purchase of $150 or more, I’ll send you a free Beautycounter Cosmetic Pouch. Just be sure that Your Consultant is Alicia Wood shows at the top of the website or you enter Alicia Wood as your consultant so I know you made the purchase. Please contact me if you have any questions!