Well, hello! I’m glad to be home after an amazing trip to Abu Dhabi and the Maldives. I’ll be sharing all the details with you soon but until then be sure to check out my photos on Instagram.
Today I’m sharing the Chicken Pho I posted a few weeks ago on Instagram. What? You thought you needed to put away the slow cooker for the summer? Au contrare! What better time to use it? Put something great in it and go have some summer fun returning home to a great meal.
I ate this several times in the Maldives for brunch. I can assure you this recipe is authentic.
- 2 - 32 oz boxes (8 cups) low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbs light brown sugar
- 4 tbs Gluten Free Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 10 whole cloves
- 6 - 10 whole star anise
- 1 - 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, about 2 pounds (You can also use bone-in breasts with skin removed)
- 6 oz or 8 oz rice noodles (either amount and wide or thin is fine)
- 6 c chopped bok choy
- 2 c fresh basil, leaves
- 1 c fresh mint leaves
- 1 c fresh cilantro leaves (sometimes called coriander)
- 1 fresh serrano or Thai chili, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Add broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, star anise, cloves, ginger and cinnamon stick in slow cooker and stir.
- Place chicken breasts in mixture (meat side down if using bone-in).
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and spices at end of initial cooking time, reserving the chicken to shred and tossing the spices.
- Add rice noodles and bok choy and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Shred chicken using forks and stir in once noodles are tender.
- Cook 5 minutes to warm chicken.
- Serve in bowls with basil, mint, cilantro, serrano chili and lime allowing everyone to choose their own toppings.
These aromatic spices fill your kitchen with an alluring scent.
Below are my favorite slow cookers and a few other items from Williams-Sonoma that you should have in your kitchen. They are having their Buy More, Save More Sale right now so these will be 10% – 50% off!
SHOP THE POST