In case you missed the New Year’s Eve Dinner post yesterday, I don’t want you to miss this dessert! I’m taking the day off to celebrate my birthday with friends. Hope you enjoy!
This elegant dessert is heart healthy and tastes like winter’s best in a bowl.
- 5 or 6 pears
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- ¼ c orange juice
- Peel pears, leaving stem intact.
- Slice ½-inch off the bottom of the pears to create a flat bottom.
- Place pears in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add wine, sugar, orange juice, cinnamon stick and cloves to the sauce pan.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure even color, until pears are cooked but still firm.
- Remove saucepan from flame, uncover and cool with pears upright in pan.
- Gently remove pears from liquid and allow to come to room temperature.
- For sauce, reduce liquid by about half over a medium-high flame for 15 minutes, until liquid is slightly syrupy.
- Remove from flame and let liquid come to room temperature.
- Drizzle each pear with syrup and serve.
- **This can be served room temperature or slightly warm.
Add Sugar, Cinnamon Sticks and Orange Juice to Sauce Pan.
Pour in wine.
Top with sauce and serve. I like them slightly warm.
I hope you enjoy these!
Photo credit: Mary Summers-Hafner
Looks so yummy