With my girls growing older and our daily lifestyle needs shifting, I decided this summer to turn their playroom into a guest bedroom. I knew finding the perfect rug was one of the most important decisions I would make since a rug tends to take up the most visual space in most any room.
With more and more online rug retailers popping up, I want to help you learn the options and understand what to look for when searching for the perfect rug for your space. These Five Tips for Buying a One-of-a-kind Rug Online will help you make a good decision. This is one interior investment where the details matter and you often get what you pay for! I used LillieKat Rugs to find this one-of-a-kind hand knotted rug that was perfect for my Guest Room.
Here are 5 things to know before investing in a quality one-of-a-kind rug online:
1. Ideally, the rug would be the first thing you purchase for a space! This allows you to build the rest of the room around its colors. Matching colors can be difficult and make or break the room.
2. Understand the materials and process that make up your rug. Hand knotted rugs made of wool and silk require months of work to weave a single rug. There’s a tremendous difference in appearance and quality between a hand knotted rug and one that is made by machine or hand tufted. Hand knotted rugs are most durable and created to be unique and last for generations. Remember when purchasing a vintage or antique rug vs a new hand knotted one wear and fading can be normal and considered to be part of the history and charm of the rug.
3. Don’t be afraid to reach out to the retailer and ask questions. For example, it’s important to know the online image was taken with natural sunlight in order to see the true colors. However, remember every rug whether being purchased online or in a showroom can look different once it is placed in your space. It’s always important to know an online retailers return policy, so don’t be afraid to ask.
4. Measure, Measure, Measure! Hand made rugs can come in odd sizes so measure the space and know the smallest and biggest you can go.
5. A good rug pad can extend the life of your rug. Period. Using one keeps the fibers from being crushed. Skip the cheap, rubbery, webbed ones and pick a felted version, which adds extra cushion and locks the rug to the floor for safety.
I hope these tips help you in purchasing an investment rug, or really any rug, online. Being sure to work with a quality retailer who knows their product, is available for questions before and after your purchase and who wants to ensure a great experience is truly important. Working with LilliKat Rugs was a great experience and I highly recommend them!
Thank you to LilliKat Rugs for collaborating on this post. All selections and opinions are my own.
Photos by Mary Hafner
Pin this image for reference!