Happy First Day of Fall! I’ve not decorated my porch for Fall yet but will soon because I’ve seen that pumpkins are arriving! I wanted to share Five Tips for Decorating Your Porch For Fall. These are the guidelines I use and will help you easily create a warm entry for your friends and family.
FIVE TIPS FOR FALL PORCH DECORATING
- Choose your color palette – You don’t have to use Orange! I’m not an orange girl and actually not a huge fan of Halloween so I love to use the shades of gray, green and white pumpkins for my entry.
- Choose “matching pairs” of pumpkins or gourds – It’s easier to create a bit of symmetry in your display if you have the same number and color of large and small pumpkins.
- Vary shapes and colors – I love to use different shades of color and to vary the placement to highlight their shapes and stems.
- Use small potted mums or other fall plants as filler – Fill the holes around the larger pumpkins with potted plants and tiny pumpkins and gourds. I used two tones of purple kale in these photos but mums and coleus and anything else they have at the nursery in your area are fair game!
- You need more pumpkins and filler than you think! – More is More! Don’t be afraid to buy a lot and return if needed. Most stores will allow you to do that but ask! I’ve also been known to go back for more and be disappointed that they didn’t have what I needed.
To create the display, I first lay out the “pairs” of larger pumpkins on each step. As you can tell, the “pairs” can be a bit different as the ones o the top steps: One is a bit taller than the other. This gives it a more organic feel.
Then, fill in holes with your planted material and smaller pumpkins and gourds. And, Voila! You have a beautiful display. Don’t forget to water the plants. I’ve done this and had to replace it all!
Another fun idea is to tuck the same plants and a few small pumpkins into the containers on your porch as I did here.
I hope these tips help you to create a warm and inviting entry for your home. I’d love to know your tips, too, so leave them below!
PS – Did you know two new giveaways that will be on going to thank you for your loyalty and support. Randomly, each month I’ll select winners from the comments those who leave on blog posts and from those subscribed to my newsletter. These winners will receive gift boxes filled with some of my favorite items…some gifted by brands and others I add to the mix.
Pin this image for reference!