With the first day of Fall around the corner, I am getting the itch to decorate my house and the Lake house for the season! I’ve not decorated my porch for Fall yet but will soon because I’ve seen that pumpkins are arriving! I wanted to share Five Tips for Decorating Your Porch For Fall. These are the guidelines I use and will help you easily create a warm entry for your friends and family.
FIVE TIPS FOR FALL PORCH DECORATING
- Choose your color palette – You don’t have to use Orange! I’m not an orange girl and actually not a huge fan of Halloween so I love to use the shades of gray, green and white pumpkins for my entry.
- Choose “matching pairs” of pumpkins or gourds – It’s easier to create a bit of symmetry in your display if you have the same number and color of large and small pumpkins.
- Vary shapes and colors – I love to use different shades of color and to vary the placement to highlight their shapes and stems.
- Use small potted mums or other fall plants as filler – Fill the holes around the larger pumpkins with potted plants and tiny pumpkins and gourds. I used two tones of purple kale in these photos but mums and coleus and anything else they have at the nursery in your area are fair game!
- You need more pumpkins and filler than you think! – More is More! Don’t be afraid to buy a lot and return if needed. Most stores will allow you to do that but ask! I’ve also been known to go back for more and be disappointed that they didn’t have what I needed.
To create the display, I first lay out the “pairs” of larger pumpkins on each step. As you can tell, the “pairs” can be a bit different as the ones o the top steps: One is a bit taller than the other. This gives it a more organic feel.
Then, fill in holes with your planted material and smaller pumpkins and gourds. And, Voila! You have a beautiful display. Don’t forget to water the plants. I’ve done this and had to replace it all!
Another fun idea is to tuck the same plants and a few small pumpkins into the containers on your porch as I did here.
I hope these tips help you to create a warm and inviting entry for your home. Check out the three boutiques as you scroll down on Fall wreaths, doormats and planters for a little more inspo! I’d love to know your tips, too, so leave them below!
Get more home inspiration in my recent post on Best Home Décor for Fall and Colorful Blue and White Fall Outdoor Tablescape and from my category pages: Personal Style, Interiors, My Home, Food, Entertaining, Tablescapes, Beauty and Travel.
Pin this image for reference!
Your porch is beautiful. I don’t think I’ve ever seen those colors of pumpkins before. Just stunning. Thanks for sharing.
I love your color palette! I am not a fan of orange pumpkins, either. Very pretty!
Thank you for sharing your fall porch decor using non traditional colors. I’m not an orange gal either & gravitate to blue white & champagne colors. I ordered a new wreath & garland that have a plaid bow with gold, burgundy & green tones, a pretty gold sign that says “gather” & added candle rings for my fall & Thanksgiving decor.
Where do you find these beautiful pumpkins??? I’m not an orange girl either, and I’d love to find some of these!
Stunning! Love the colors of the pumpkins and kale together. Great ideas that I plan to use. Now to head to the farmer’s market. Thanks’
Love this look with the neutral white and pale green pumpkins. I do a similar look. Since my mums don’t last from late Sept through Thanksgiving, I have to replace the first set. It lets me start with UT burnt orange and then move to purple by Thanksgiving.
I too wait until later in Arizona when it comes to the pumpkins and mums. I put up fall décor, like wreaths, etc. then patiently wait!
I love this look! Such an elegant color palette! I say each year I’m going to try to do something like this and haven’t tried it yet. This will inspire me thank you!
I’m so glad you love it, too! I’d love to see your porch if you try it!
These colors are beautiful and original, love the addition of purple. Do you continue these colors inside for your tabletop too?
Thank you so much! I’ve not done a table top with these exact colors but they would be beautiful…Maybe I should try that next!