Once upon a time, I did NOT like tomatoes. Then we went on a trip to France and Italy where my husband had caprese salad with beautiful tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and fresh basil at every. single. meal. It looked so good! I tried it and absolutely loved it! In fact, I ate so many one day, I made myself sick! This Heirloom Tomato Gallette is a great summer dish and tastes like those first caprese salads many years ago.
We had some amazing tomatoes from the local farmers stand close to my parents home last week. I had a fresh tomato every day for lunch and that made me think I needed to share this recipe with you again!
Heirloom tomatoes are some of my favorite because they have different flavors and the colors are gorgeous. This is just as good cold or reheated as it is right out of the oven. It would be fabulous grilled on a Green Egg, too!
Dress // Pastry Board // Rolling Pin // Garlic Oil // Pizza Peel
I used the gluten free crust recipe from the Apple and Berry Galettes. I’ll be making a peach version soon! You can make several batches of the recipe and keep them in the refrigerator for several weeks. They also freeze well.
The Garlic Flavored Olive Oil is one of My Favorite Five Oils from Trader Joe’s. I need to do another What I Buy at Trader Joe’s post soon!
- Full crust recipe from this post (or two rounds if you have them already divided)
- 6 Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 large ball of Fresh Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Garlic Flavored Oil
- Roll out the dough until about ⅜ inch thick.
- Layer sliced tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Fold edges of the crust over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with garlic oil and sprinkle torn basil leaves and red pepper flakes on top.
Happy Summer Baking!
SHOP THE POST
PS – I’ve updated my Nordstrom Anniversary Shop. There are a few items that didn’t catch my eye the first time!
Photos by Mary Summers-Hafner
Pin this image for future reference!
This looks delicious, I am going to make soon!