Creating recipes for cocktails is a favorite of mine. This weekend we’ll celebrate the summer with an Organic Basil Fizz, a drink that will always take me back to Summer of 2015 at the Six Senses Laamu in the Maldives. We celebrated our 20th anniversary there last June and it was magical. I taught the bartender how to make a real margarita, both on the rocks and frozen (not the frothy, whipped concoction he first served), and he inspired me to recreate this Red Basil Fizz.
My Organic Basil Fizz has a few differences than the one on their menu…first, purple basil is difficult to find here and my garden is not even started this summer. Second, I used tequila because I don’t like gin.
- 1 bunch fresh, organic basil
- 1 bunch black or red grapes
- Good silver or blanco Tequila
- Fresh pink grapefruit juice (squeeze your own or buy at a place that squeezes fresh)
- 1 bottle chilled prosecco or champagne
- Add 6 grapes and 4 large basil leaves to a tall glass.
- Muddle in the glass to break up the leaves and grapes.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Add ½ oz Tequila and 1 oz pink grapefruit juice and stir.
- Top with prosecco and stir once again.
- Garnish with more fresh basil.
With the lazy days of summer upon us, I’ll be doing a few more of my Make This Weekend series because I’ll have more time and you will, too.
SHOP THE POST
Note: Fabulous Glitter Lucite Tray courtesy of Charlotte Max
Cheers to summer!
PS – Be sure to check out the Nordstrom Half-yearly Sale and J.Crew’s 30% off sale (which includes my favorite dress seen above!) today. I’ll be back tomorrow with a full listing of the best sales for everyone in your family and your home!