Last week I was invited by Negra Modelo to attend a private dinner with Chef Rick Bayless. Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity. Private event event with Top Chef Master Rick Bayless and his fabulous food inspired by his love of Mexico? Yes, please!
You may recognize Bayless as the winner of Bravo’s Top Chef Masters. His television show, Mexico–One Plate at a Time, on PBS is in its ninth season. In 2012, he was nominated for a Daytime Emmy for Best Culinary Host. Bayless has several highly successful restaurants including Frontera Grill, which was named Best Restaurant in the James Beard Foundation, authored eight acclaimed cookbooks and also won our country’s highest chef honor as the James Beard Foundation’s National Chef of the Year.
All guests enjoyed ice cold Negra Modelo on tap in their specially made, gold-rimmed glasses and sampled Chef Bayless’ award-winning cuisine. Negra Modelo’s roasted caramel malts, combined with great fare, create “a fiesta of flavor” that few other beers are able to achieve. Negra Modelo is always our import beer of choice and is truly the perfect complement to flavorful foods such as Bayless’. You’ll remember I served it at our recent summer party.
Chef Bayless offered many great tips on food, cooking and recipes. My favorites were his tips on making the perfect guacamole.
- Tomatoes bring the sweet and in the winter he only uses sundried tomatoes that he rehydrates. Using Negra Modelo brings in a special flavor. For a new twist try mango instead of tomato.
- Try using tomatillos instead of tomatoes for a bright flavor. Grilling them for an extra special touch.
- Rinsing white onions under cool water reduces the sulphur and seals the onion, preserving the crispness and cuts out the eye-burn. No more tears!
- Cilantro brings an herbal quality. Be brave and substitute another herb like basil or mint.
- He only uses Serrano peppers, which bring the heat. Jalapeños have become too tame. Deveining and/or grilling the Serrano brings down the heat.
I know I’ll be using these great tips to make my next big bowl of guacamole. After all, it is a Texas favorite, too!
You can learn more about Negra Modelo and recipe pairings on their website. Chef Bayless has created many great recipes using Negra Modelo and that showcase Negra Modeo as the perfect complement to great food. These Grilled Skirt Steak Tacos with Salsa and Negra Modelo will be on our table soon.
Being that it is summer and summer and ice cream go hand in hand, I joked to my husband that I wondered if you could make ice cream with Negra Modelo. You won’t believe Chef’s answer when I asked his favorite recipe with Negra Modelo….Chocolate Chili Negra Modelo Ice Cream!
We will definitely be making this in the 106 degree heat this weekend! Join us?
Thank you to Negra Modelo for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own. You can learn more at www.negramodelousa.com, by following them @NegraModeloUSA on Instagram and Twitter or search #theperfectcomplement.