I love to find a new recipe that will become a “go-to” for many years. This Raspberry French Toast Strata will be one of those. I served it Friday at the annual Bye-Bye Baby Brunch I host with a friend.
Several of the moms are gluten-free and this was a huge it with them and then my family when I made it again the next day. Super easy and super delicious, too!
- ½ c pure maple syrup plus more for serving
- 6 cups of 1 inch cubes of crusty bread (I've used Udi's French Dinner Rolls or Baguettes)
- 1 pint fresh raspberries or quartered strawberries
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups milk (I used fat free because that is what I had on hand)
- Zest from two lemons
- A pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour ½ cup of maple syrup into the dish.
- Combine cubed bread and raspberries in the dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, lemon zest and salt.
- Pour over the bread and raspberries.
- Place dish on center rack and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour; until "set" in the middle.
- Sift powdered sugar on the top while allowing to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.
It is the perfect balance of crunchy, creamy and lightly sweet. I don’t think it needed the additional maple syrup but, of course, my girls did!
This would be a great dish for brunch this Labor Day weekend.
Shop the Post