As a part of my New Year Reset, I aim to identify healthy, simple dishes for dinner. This Herb Roasted Salmon from Genius Recipes from Food52 meets these criteria. I’ve made it several times and even done a few variations that are equally as good. It’s my new favorite way to cook salmon.
- 3 lbs salmon fillet, bones removed, skin intact
- 2 tbs mixed minced fresh herbs: tarragon, basil, flat-leaf parsley and thyme
- 2 tbs fennel seeds, cracked (I didn't do this)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Rock or Kosher salt for lining pan
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cover a sheet pan with foil. (I don't do this but probably should for even easier clean up)
- Pour rock or kosher salt into the pan covering the surface.
- Place salmon in the pan, skin side down.
- Sprinkle herbs, fennel seeds and salt and pepper over the salmon.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes depending upon size of fillet and temperature desired.
- To serve, use a wide spatula to remove the salmon from the salt base.
- Skin should stick to the salmon.
I have also made this recipe with only dried herbs and it was equally as good. You can experiment with your favorite herbs as well. Last night I used this method of baking but simply combined 1/2 cup Dijon mustard and 1/8 cup of Maple Syrup and poured it over the salmon before baking. I served both with a simple salad of arugula dressed with lemon flavored olive oil, salt and pepper.
Let me know what you think when you make this. It is now a family favorite!
SHOP THE POST