I saw this on a cooking show years ago and it is a favorite standby for a busy day fall or winter…like tonight! Another great recipe for that Slow Cooker, I’ve been telling you you needed. It is still on sale at Williams-Sonoma with free shipping!
Place the broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
Gluten free pastas can be tricky. The first few I tried, turned to mush if I turned my back for too long or forgot the timer (which I never use!). This brand is really great! It even holds up in this soup a lot better that its traditional counter part.
Add the zucchini, spinach and pasta and cook for 30 minutes before serving. Ideally the last 30 but I’ve done it after it has been on warm for an hour and it was fine. One of my daughters doesn’t care for the zucchini and spinach so I scoop out some to keep warm in a separate pan for her. I know, I know but it is easier than the grief I get if I don’t….
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 c cooked small pasta
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 c coarsely chopped fresh
- Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese for garnish
- In a slow cooker, combine broth, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, and ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the soup is finished cooking, add cooked pasta, zucchini and spinach.
- Cover and cook for the final 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve into soup bowls and grate parmesan cheese over top.
Serve with grated Parmesan (which I forgot to photograph!) I love that it is purely vegetables and still so hearty and filling. Be sure to let me know if you try it and like it. I love reading your comments!
SHOP THE POST