While I’m not a bourbon girl, I do love a tradition and a reason to craft a cocktail. The Kentucky Derby is full of traditions trip to the Kentucky Derby is on my bucket list for certain. Beautiful people in beautiful clothes in a gorgeous setting…yes, definitely on my list.
I looked at several recipes for their traditional drink but nothing caught my eye until I saw recipes adding fruit and champagne to the mix! Every thing is better with bubbly, right? Here is my version of this traditional Kentucky cocktail.
- Crushed ice or small ice cubes (I crush mine my Vitamix)
- 1 pint of blackberries, pureed
- 1 bunch of mint leaves
- Simple syrup (recipe here, don't purchase the pre made stuff!)
- Good Kentucky bourbon
- Prosecco or other sparkling wine
- More mint sprigs and blackberries for garnish
- Tear six mint leaves in half and place in the bottom of a chilled silver julep cup.
- Top with 2 teaspoons of simple syrup.
- Add 3 tablespoons of blackberry purée.
- Muddle them together in the cup.
- Fill cup with ice.
- Add ½ to ¾ oz bourbon .
- Fill to top with champagne and stir well.
- Garnish with mint sprig and a blackberry.
Since you are probably like me and not headed to the Derby this year, I have partnered with Equest, a therapeutic riding center, to give one of my readers two tickets to their 35th Anniversary Gala in Dallas. Since 1981, Equest has cherished and groomed a very special herd of therapy horses to help children, adults and veterans overcome unique challenges – all through the human-horse connection. Equine-assisted activities and therapies can effectively treat over 100 physical, cognitive, social, learning disorders.
After you’ve watched “The Greatest Two Minutes in Sports” at home, you and a guest will enjoy southern gourmet dinner, craft cocktails including my Sparkling Blackberry Mint Julep, a Bourbon & Biscuits Bar, and wine lounge. Live and Silent Auctions will feature must have items and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Live music and speciality drinks will ring in the after-party along with some surprise guests.
This will be an unforgettable night under the stars benefitting an organization that has a heart as big as Texas.
SHOP THE POST
Tools you’ll need and what I’d wear to a Derby Party or the Gala!
Congratulations to Amy D for winning the tickets! I’ve emailed you about details.
Photos: Mary Summers-Hafner